Friday 15 May 2009

For twits only?? Twitter.com

Advantages: A bit of fun

Disadvantages: You might get addicted

I don't know where Twitter came from. 

It just seemed to fall from the sky one day - it seems like it has always been here. 

What is it? 

It is a sort of messaging website. I still haven't really got the hang of it. I am a little old fashioned, so if I want to message someone, I just pick up the phone. 

I suppose it feeds into the 'instant' and 'want it now' it now mood of the younger generation. I talk as if this is a new thing. The younger tend to be more impatient - not a bad thing when wisely channeled. 

You get the opportunity to write a short message of about 140 words, if I remember rightly (I have never counted) feel free to correct me. 

There words are seen on a public timeline and/or by those who choose to follow you (loosely speaking this means befriend you, not stalk you - a bad choice of terminology be the website designers), depending on the privacy levels you have set in your account. 

So in essence it is a good way to keep in touch with either your friends or the world in general. 

It is also a nice way to keep in touch with your best loved celbrities. You can message them - most are inundated so they might not message back. 

This is perfect for the ego-tripper, and it just gets better if your favourite celebrity decides to follow you. 

Give it a go, it is a bit of online fun that may stay with you or you may grow out of.

Summary: Great way of keeping in touch, blowing your own trumpet etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment