Friday 15 May 2009

Is it a farl or a scone? Rankin Selection Potato Farls

Advantages: Thicker than your average tottie scone

Disadvantages: I have known these to go off before the sell by date

I absolutely adore these! 

They are from the Paul Rankin range and made by Irwins, who I believe are an Irish company. 

These are probably better known in the UK as potato cakes, potato scones or tattie scones - I will refer to them as scones for the review, because that is what I am used to calling them. 

These are flat scones and I believe they are made from potatoes and flour. 

They are so versatile and can be eaten as part of breakfast, lunch, evening meal, supper or just snack on its own. 

In my opinion they are at their most delicious when fried, but you can also eat them toasted. When in you are in a hurry just grab one or two and butter it as if you are having bread and butter. 

They really do come into their own when served as part of a fry up and they are probably more relevant to an Irish or Scottish breakfast. 

I like to have these with bacon and Scottish black pudding, which is 'smoother' and much less fatty than other UK varieties. I am actually quite satisfied with that, although sometimes an egg with a slightly runny middle to give me something to mop up with the scone. 

The potato scone and black pudding combination is also great in a sandwich. No posh bread necessary, just a normal white loaf, make sure this is lovely and soft to really enjoy it. 

A variation on this is to use Scottish 'plain' bread. Plain bread really is an acquired taste, as it really is quite plain, with distinctive crusts. It is taller, so when you cut it in half you get more of a square shape, coincidentally about the size of a potato farl (or a square sausage, but that is another story for the uninitiated to Scottish cuisine)! 

If you want to try your sandwich in 'plain' bread, you can get it in England in Tescos and Farmfoods. 

Plain or pan, still delicious! 

As I said I absolutely adore these. They are a little thicker than a standard potato scone - I don't know if that is why they are called farls, or if that is just the Irish name for a scone (I have also seen what I know as soda scones referred to as soda farls). This extra thickness makes them a little more enjoyable. 

I hate to end on a criticism, but you really do need to keep an eye on the sell by/use by date. I have had a number of occasions where, even before the sell by date was expired, these had gone off and taken on the blue mould you get on bread. I am just hoping this was one of those things that happen from time to time. 

Still, despite this I am going to give these 5 stars, they really are delicious.

Summary: A delicious anytime of the day snack or part of a main meal.

Find books on food at ebid.net


No comments:

Post a Comment