Friday 15 May 2009

There is nothing I like more than giving someone a good muffin - Sainsbury's 'Basics' Breakfast Muffins

Advantages: They are cheap and still good quality

Disadvantages: none

Despite my love of muffins I am quite generous and quite happy to share them around 

I could eat muffins till they are coming out of my ears! 

And I am also so fussy about how I have them. 

I think I have tried just about every supermarkets muffins, whether they be own brand or a make such as Mother's Pride. 

If I am being really honest most muffins are much of a muchness, but then again my muffin to butter(or marge/spread) ratio, just might be little different to everyone elses, so you could argue that I never get to taste the actual muffin. 

So with that in mind, it shouldn't matter if I pay over a quid for the more expensive muffin or the 60p pack of six from Sainsburys' basic range. 

No it doesn't matter. 

These came out the packet and have that lovely softness, almost squidginess you get with a muffin. They cut through nicely as well. 

So far so good. 

Meanwhile the grill has been warming up, the kettle boiled and all the stuff to make a cup of tea is out and on the side. Pop a plate under the grill - your plate needs to be warmed up - how hot is up to you. I really heat my plate up to the extent I need a tea-towel to carry the plate through to my spot in front of the telly. 

Get your halved-muffins under the grill. I always toast the outer surfaces first and inner surfaces (the bits that the butter will melt into) last, as they will be hotter and melt the butter easier. 

Toast the outside gently - you don't want it getting too crispy, or maybe you do? However you do it, make sure it has taken in enough heat. Flip it over when you are happy. 

Of course while the muffins have been grilling, you will have been making the perfect cup of tea, ready in time for when the muffins are ready - you don't want your muffins having any opportunity to cool down. 

So tea is ready. Muffins are toasted. 

All that is left to do is to get the warmed plate out - mind your fingers - and start trowelling on the butter. 

Enjoy. 

To enhance your muffin experience I recommend a poached egg, smoked bacon and lashings of eggy buttery hollandaise sauce - eggs Benedict I suppose, but bacon rather than ham. 

Oh I almost forgot this is a review for Sainsbury's 'Basics' Breakfast Muffins, not a 'how to' make muffins. 

Well, they do the trick. They are basic and therefore simple. And these are simply delicious. There isn't really too much to say, except don't worry about spending out on the expensive muffin. I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for, but in this case, these are a real bargain.

Summary: A cheap and tasty anytime snack.

Find books on food at ebid.net

No comments:

Post a Comment