Friday 15 May 2009

You get what you pay for - Travelodge

Advantages: You pay for the room

Disadvantages: A lack of staff to help should you need it.

I've had reason to stay in a couple of Travelodges over the years and so far have had no complaints. 

But I need to state first, you get what you pay for and must know what to expect. Like wise, this review is going to be very simple and straightford, for that is how I have found the Travelodge experience. 

One in particular that sticks out in my mind is the one at Lymm services at Warrington. 

A group of us decided we were going to stop half way to Loch Lomond and Lymm was that halfway point on the map. We did book in advance. I was not in charge of that department, but from memory I think we got a deal, where we got a room for about £20. With a bit of jiggery pokery, we arranged comfortable sleeping arrangements. 

It is a very unfussy procedure staying here. You check in, give them your car details, so that you don't get a ticket in the services car park, and get a key/card for your room. 

The room had a double and a settee which pulled out into a double bed, so you can sleep four comfortably, if you don't mind sharing. 

There was a television with a degree of digital stations, although I am not 100% sure how this was arranged - the point being there was something to watch, because when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere in a motorway services, you better be sure you bring a book with you, or hope there is a telly. 

There was no restaurant or cafe, though there were the adjacent services restaurant and a McDonalds. 

The beds were comfy, the sheets clean. There were complementary tea and coffee sachets, a kettle and cups. 

The ensuite consisted of a W.C., sink bath and shower attachment. I made sure I had a long soak in the bath. 

I slept reasonably well despite the comings and goings of lorrys in the lorry park at the rear. 

Booking out was a dawdle, just drop your key thing in the slot at the unmanned counter and go. 

All said, this was a bed for my head for the night, and cheap too. It felt a little do-it-yourself, as there didn't seem to be any staff about the place, so what would have happened had there been a problem, who knows? 

I have reservations (no pun intended) about Travelodges though, based on other reviews - it seems if it can go wrong it will - though my experience, thus far, touch wood, and all that has been worth the money.

Summary: A bit of a do it yourself feel about the place. You get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment