Friday 15 May 2009

Jumbo cooking time - Tesco Finest Jumbo Wedges

Advantages: Crisp up nicely

Disadvantages: Take a lot longer to cook than expected.

I have never been a fan of potato wedges. I mean they don't taste too bad, so I don't have any real reason to dislike them. 

What I think it boils down to is the fact that they come out of the oven. 

Now this isn't why I am unsure about them. It is just that for years I have been on this good earth, I have come to the conclusion that if a potato comes out of the oven, I expect it to taste, look and feel like a roast potato (unless it is a potato croquette - that is a different thing altogether). 

So when I have serving of potato wedges, this is always the expectation - I am always expecting a soft fluffy inside, and deliciously crisp on the outside.. this just doesn't seem to happen with potatoe wedges! 

But then again I have never had Jumbo Wedges. 

I gave these a try. 

You know the drill, into the oven, though not as easy as it sounds. I had to keep putting them back in for an extra five minutes - about an extra fifteen in all, if I remember right. 

When they did come out, they were surprisingly crisp on the outside - maybe a little overdone, but the inside was nicely cooked. this is probably the nearest these have come to the roast potato I was expecting, and probably the most favourable of potato wedges I have tasted. 

Generally, I have potato wedges as a snack in a bowl with a dip, but I think I will allow these to sit next to the other Sunday Roast stuff, if there is ever a potato emergency and I need to fish something out of the freezer.

Summary: Nice big chunks of spud



No comments:

Post a Comment