Thursday 14 May 2009

Stick with what you know - Cartridge World

Advantages: Cheaper....

Disadvantages: ....but unreliable

You really do get what you pay for in life. 

I don't know the technology or the costing behind printer inks, but in my mind, I have always though they are hideously expensive. 

When I first got a colour printer all those years ago I stuck religiously with the HP own brand inks at anywhere between £25 to £40 a go (nearer the £25 for the black ink and between £30 - £40 for the colour ink), because that is all I knew to be available. 

I have always found that judging how many prints you get from the cartridges, especially colour, to be somewhat akin as to the age old question "how long is a piece of string"? 

Being as tight fisted as I am it would be a case of printing everything at the 'economy' or 'normal' settings, over the 'best' setting, and I generally found that for important stuff the 'normal' setting was just as good as the best. Then the day comes when you run out of ink, which always seems sooner than I would like to dip my hand in my wallet. 

This went on for a few years, you know buying HP ink. Then one day a friend told me about Cartridge World, and how I could probably save between 30% and 50% on each cartridge. 

That was a few years ago and I haven't been back to HP since.... well until now. 

When I first started using Cartridge World I didn't perceive any difference except for the cost. Now though, in the last two years, I have been finding I am returning cartridges that don't seem to work. Yes I get the same old story of 'it must be your printer', but I have always insisted they do an exchange on the faulty item, and what do you know the exchange has usually worked, this is no good though. I want the cartridge to work first time, rather than having to spend bus fare again. 

I am also finding that I am changing cartridges much sooner that I used to. No I am not using the cartridges more often than usual. I am not entirely convinced that the cartridges are being filled all the way up. 

I have also noticed that whilst photos that I have printed off with HP ink look fine after a few years, photos I have printed off with Cartridge World ink are beginning to fade. 

Yes there is indeed an old saying in life that you get what you pay for. 

I am going back to 'own-make' printer inks from now on.

Summary: Ok for printing off documents, providing you don't get a dud cartridge, but forget colour.

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame that you have been having problems with Cartridge World. I've used them for years and not had any problems with quality. The service is always great and I've saved loads of money by using them!

    ReplyDelete