Thursday 14 May 2009

Too many 404s ( nostalgiacentral.com )

Advantages: Informative as long as you navigate with the site map

Disadvantages: Dead links and 404 errors

Oh no! not another nostalgia website. 

well I actually quite like stuff like this, so when I heard about this site, I though I would hop on over for a browse. 

I was very dissapointed when I got there to be presented with an Error 404 - File Not Found, although part of their menu system and site map is still in place. 

Not being one for giving up I decided to click on some of the links that are in place. 

There are sections marked Television, Music and pop culture. These pages are basically a decade by decade overview of the particular phenomenon. 

The year by year section again takes you to a 404 error report, although the help and info section does give year- by-year links. 

I was going to give up, but your best bet is to follow the site map, which you should scroll down for. 

Once you discover that this is the way to navigate this site, you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Its layout is clean and tidy and I suspect this is more down to the webmasters lack of programming knowledge - this isn't a criticism - I prefer plain text and pictures over flashy bells and whistles usually dome by those who think they are wrting a good website. 

I don't know if this is an abandoned project or not, but I hope the webmaster sorts out the 404s and gets the links in order, because it has potential

Summary: Worth a look despite the mentioned disadvantages

No comments:

Post a Comment